Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mid Week Meditation: The Christian Thing to do...

Every now and again my son catches me slipping...

Not too long ago, I was running an errand with my youngest son.  It was an errand that I did not want to perform, but I knew that I should because my conscious called on me to do so.  It was the right thing to do.  I cannot describe the details of the errand because, I don't want to put anything into the universe, internetdom or blogoshpere that may create conflict or strife with anyone.  (I know.  Somewhere, there's an avid Facebook user that's laughing at my attempt at discretion.  Facebook users who follow the blog, I promise to one day share the details in a "status" update and Tweet them as well for good measure.)  

So, as my son and I were leaving to complete the errand, I mumbled, "I don't want to do this."  I had my reasons for so mumbling. 

But my son heard me.  He only occasionally hears my demands to finish his piano practice, but this, he heard clearly.

And he called me on it.  "Dad," he said, "that's not the Christian thing to do."  That's what I get for forcing my son to attend a religious school--around the clock moralizing from a ten year old.  God bless him.   

And he was right on many levels...or perhaps wrongly right.  I would argue that doing the right thing for the wrong reasons, is uniquely Christian.  But, he called me on my comment nonetheless.

And it made me meditate about what is "the Christian thing to do?"

Certainly it is a good thing to do those things that are good and right.  The Scriptures support that just fine.  But, the Scriptures do not support doing the right thing for the wrong reasons or with the wrong heart. 

While there are many examples of this Apostle Paul's second letter to the church in Corinth seems to be squarely on point here:

"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Paul was speaking about tangible assets, but the point is clear.  The Christian thing to do is not only do the right thing, but do it with cheer.

I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment